Friday, November 25, 2011

The last INK news day has come and gone. I stumbled on to my last story as I was walking to the story meeting. In the research and innovation centre (or, new lab building, as most students call it) I saw that a crew was setting up the Aboriginal Students Career Centre's career fair. A quick search online found me the organizer, and the story was good to go.

Darlene MacDonald runs the centre and she told me about how the career day is really meant to just show students and employers what opportunities are out there. She said that some students who come from reserves aren't always aware of what jobs are possible with certain degrees, and the career day gives them real physical examples and people to answer their questions.

After that I hung out at the fair, talked to some students, and took some photos.

What really made this story was the fact that I found a recent First Nations University grad who works for a company he first came in contact with at the same fair in 2010.

To find out more details about how the career fair helped him, check out the full article:

Making connections: U of R’s Aboriginal Career Centre’s Career day brings students and employers together

No comments:

Post a Comment